No one can deny the importance of energy and natural resource sectors in Iran. Located in the strategically important region of the Middle East, Iran ranks among the countries having largest oil and gas reservoirs in the world. To maximize your opportunities and maintain a competitive edge, you need local lawyers with international cutting-edge knowledge, who understand your commercial prerogatives and the complexities of this critical sector.
Whether your business is exploring an oil or gas asset acquisition or disposition, seeking financing for renewables projects, or facing environmental compliance or regulatory issues, we are there for you. At Elite Pars, we are deeply involved in the evolving landscape of the energy industry – having helped clients of all sizes navigate and succeed in the sector. We are your partner for proactive solutions and innovative business strategies that keep your business moving forward.
We have extensive experience assisting different clients operating in upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas markets, as well as in renewable energy, power generation and transmission, coal, mining and minerals, energy infrastructure development, chemicals/petrochemicals and other areas.
1. Oil and Gas
We have put together an excellent team of oil and gas practitioners who are completely up to the minute with the latest regulations in Iran. We have one of the largest oil and gas legal practices in Iran, composed of two partners and two associates, who have had extensive transactional and regulatory energy experience, advising clients across the supply chain, ranging from upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas. They have an in-depth understanding of the risks and industry-specific issues that are unique to the energy industry.
Our areas of work include:
- Oil and gas exploration and production
- Negotiating with NOCs and other government entities, including National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC)
- Petroleum field support services
- Construction, engineering and operational aspects of onshore and offshore petroleum infrastructure projects
- Gas supply and purchase, processing and gathering facilities
- Oil and gas pipelines, terminals and storage facilities
- Petrochemical plants and facilities
- Disputes resolution (litigation, international arbitration and ADR strategy)
- Cross-border acquisition/disposition of assets and companies
- Sales, marketing, storage, processing and transportation agreements (including LNG)
- Dispute resolution and litigation
- Environmental compliance
- Licensing, contracts and consents
A list of most important professional landmarks of Elite Pars lawyers includes:
- Several Russian Oil Companies: advised on their negotiations with the NIOC and their Iranian commercial partners for multi-billion dollars exploration and development of oil and gas fields project located in Iran, including the conclusion of a series of foundation agreements including Joint Operating Agreement, Operatorship Services Agreement, Master EPC, Condensate, and Crude Oil Sales Agreements, Joint Management Plans, etc. and the negotiation of an Iranian Petroleum Contract (IPC)
- Large Asian Oil and Gas Company: advised on their negotiations with NIOC with regards to conclusion of an IPC
- European Upstream Oil and Gas Company: advised on their negotiations with NIOC with regards to conclusion of an IPC
- European Oil Company: advised on Iranian regulatory matters regarding their settlement and closing agreements to be concluded with the NIOC regarding Mehr block and Crude Oil off-take Contract
- Major French International Oil Company (IOC): advised on the first IPC ever concluded; participated in negotiations with NIOC for multi-billion dollars exploration and development of oil and gas fields project located in Iran
2. Renewable Energy
After JCPOA, renewable energy sector became one of the most attractive areas for foreign investors in light of competitive feed-in tariffs introduced by the Iranian government. We have been tapped by numerous clients in this sector as our lawyers provide the full spectrum of legal services in the renewable energy sector, including advice and representation with respect to project development and financing, new supply, negotiation of power purchase agreements (PPAs) with Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Organization of Iran (SATBA), land due diligence, acquisition of project facilities, and all-related commercial and regulatory issues.
Our key areas of work include:
- Wind: onshore
The most important renewable energy projects in which our lawyers have thus far been involved include:
- Drafting and negotiating Memorandum of Understanding on establishment of one of the biggest solar projects in the world (600 MW of production capacity)
- Negotiation of several PPAs
- Land due diligence and execution of long-term land lease agreements for foreign clients
- Drafting and negotiating a BOT contract for an Iranian municipality
Our services don’t stop when a power project has been built - we work with our clients every day, providing advice on the full spectrum of legal issues including tax, employment, environmental and safety, disposals, trading, emergency response, dispute resolution and arbitration.
Ranking among 15 major mineral-rich counties, Iran is a host to numerous industry participants. While the sector is yet to fully develop, the country is one of the most significant mineral producers in the world.
Elite Pars lawyers are well-equipped to give you advice on ownership, operations and regulatory matters in this sector. Our aim is to find commercial solutions for investors in complex legal, tax and regulatory regimes. As such, we advise on everything from obtainment of different mining licenses, land lease and purchases, corporate and tax matters, employment, environmental and other aspects. In particular, we have developed a standing working relationship with the Iranian Mines & Mining Industries Development & Renovation (IMIDRO) and are able to represent and protect our clients in their dealings with IMIDRO. Our lawyers also have extensive experience of the day-to-day legal, financial and operational issues faced by mineral producers and those who provide finance to the industry.
The services we offer our clients include:
- Finance advice on project finance
- Corporate Finance advice on raising debt and equity in the capital markets
- Construction & Engineering advice on EPC, EPCM and other project contracts
- Corporate M&A advice on mergers, joint ventures and strategic investments, as well as property exchanges, acquisitions and disposals of producing and undeveloped assets
- Environment and planning advice on the engagement of environmental and planning consultants, environmental impact assessments
The combination of our experience across the full life cycle of a mine – from acquisition and financing to expansion and disposal – means we can provide a comprehensive understanding of the mining sector and the likely issues and solutions that arise in a wide variety of transactions.